Rover31
Contributor
Topic Author

Looking for a utility,

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm

I am looking for a utility,
Not sure how to term it,
What I am trying to do is,

Print custom graphics on custom cnc routed plastics. I need to put 4-8 of the same item on the "platen" in the same location and have the printer print the graphic on each of the plastic.

Kinda like a label maker program for a sheet of labels or stickers. I need to be able to change the graphic and the location on the print area.

Make sense?
So, what am looking for, what are those programs called?

Thank you!

Andy
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a utility,

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm

You could layout the artwork in Photoshop and make yourself a template.

RIP software is what dtg printers use to control ink laydown and print settings

Rover31
Contributor
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Andy

Thanks, I understand the rip ink function but it does not help with layout correct?

I was hoping there was something simple (read cheaper) other than Photoshop.

There are cnc nesting programs all over on the net for inexpensive price was looking for something similar. Maybe I can use one of those with adaptations...

Andy
Site Admin

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Rover31 wrote:
Andy

Thanks, I understand the rip ink function but it does not help with layout correct?

I was hoping there was something simple (read cheaper) other than Photoshop.

There are cnc nesting programs all over on the net for inexpensive price was looking for something similar. Maybe I can use one of those with adaptations...

I haven't seen an autonesting for DTG.
Some RIPS allow you to setup templates. I've always done photoshop templates to align things like that. You could do the same in gimp.

N8wray
Contributor

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:20 am

Photoshop is actually not expensive anymore with creative cloud...i have the photography package for $10/mo

UVDTG
Contributor

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:51 pm

You can use any program to make a template.

Basic idea is that you make an outline of your work area, then find a way to transfer that to your actual work surface.  On the printer you can print directly to the platen, on your CNC you make marks on your work surface.  So your platen would have an outline of where each item would be placed.  You can even use your CNC to cut a jig to put the items in. 

Once you know that, you can align stuff from the computer to your work surface.

Rover31
Contributor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:11 pm

That is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to do.
Make a print pattern and transfer that to be cnc'ed out of a foam board the products would best and be stable in.

I am stil just trying to find me the correct technical term for what I am doing. Or what those programs are called in the print world.
In cnc it's nesting, all for efficiency of material use. I am trying for efficiency of printer use and space

Thank you for all of the great help!

Rover31
Contributor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Andy
Going through the Gimp Wikipedia I don't see anything about templating am I just missing that?

UVDTG
Contributor

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 pm

There's not a set 'tool' to do that. 

For example, I'm making one right now for my laser.  Its work area is 20"x12".  So, I draw a box that is 20x12, and use the laser to mark those edges on its work area.

Now, in whatever design program, I draw another box that's 20x12.  Now as long as I start the laser in the correct corner, anything in the box in the design program will line up with the same spot in the box on the work area. 

Longuini

Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:26 pm

From what I understand, the software you need is "CorelDraw". With it you can do the vectors and align and export to cnc router or laser program. I have a cutter plotter and I use this software a lot. Being that the source of the file for these equipments work is called "vector". This it does very well is easy and intuitive