DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

thanasis
Topic Author

How can I build a UV printer to print on steel plates?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 am

Hello everybody and thanks for all your hard work that you are sharing online for all us noobs :-)

I would like to make a flatbed UV printer (much like the Roland Lef 12/ 20) that can print directly on steel plates, 15 cm X 21 cm each. I have gone through the tutorials and videos of the forum for the DTG instructions. At some points it is mentioned that these are the same for a flatbed UV printer but I was unable to find a tutorial or a thread discussing the particular process of arriving from a DTG to a UV printer that can print on steel. I realise this is probably because this is a DTG forum :roll: . Nevertheless, it remains the best place I managed to find online for this type of DIY projects. I would thus be greatfull if anyone could help me with the following questions:

1. What is the best value for money Epson printer I can use to transform to a UV printer for printing on steel plates? (the cheaper it is, the more I can fail and restart :-) )
  2. Is there a tutorial that explains the steps specifically for a UV printer?
  3. If there is no such tutorial, how may i use a DTG tutorial to arrive to a UV printer to print on steel plates? Are there any online instructions for the mods I need to do? Anyone has done this before?
  4. With a final UV printer produced, what is the reliability I can expect from the machine? I am hearing horror stories from friends who have bought modified machines from China in the past and they are in a continuous state of troubleshooting :?
Thank you very much and apologies if I am off forum topic. I hope I am not diverting the discussion too much,

Regards,

Thanasis

dme

Re: How can I build a UV printer to print on steel plates?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 am

thanasis wrote:
Hello everybody and thanks for all your hard work that you are sharing online for all us noobs :-)

I would like to make a flatbed UV printer (much like the Roland Lef 12/ 20) that can print directly on steel plates, 15 cm X 21 cm each. I have gone through the tutorials and videos of the forum for the DTG instructions. At some points it is mentioned that these are the same for a flatbed UV printer but I was unable to find a tutorial or a thread discussing the particular process of arriving from a DTG to a UV printer that can print on steel. I realise this is probably because this is a DTG forum :roll: . Nevertheless, it remains the best place I managed to find online for this type of DIY projects. I would thus be greatfull if anyone could help me with the following questions:

1. What is the best value for money Epson printer I can use to transform to a UV printer for printing on steel plates? (the cheaper it is, the more I can fail and restart :-) )
  2. Is there a tutorial that explains the steps specifically for a UV printer?
  3. If there is no such tutorial, how may i use a DTG tutorial to arrive to a UV printer to print on steel plates? Are there any online instructions for the mods I need to do? Anyone has done this before?
  4. With a final UV printer produced, what is the reliability I can expect from the machine? I am hearing horror stories from friends who have bought modified machines from China in the past and they are in a continuous state of troubleshooting :?
Thank you very much and apologies if I am off forum topic. I hope I am not diverting the discussion too much,

Regards,

Thanasis

Hi Thanasis,
I have a Epson R3000 converted in UV that I bought insted of LEF 12 (I bought the printer, I'm not build). The cost it's 5x less that LEF 12, and for it was worth it, BUT, I had a lot of problem and still have.
Unfortunately, I don't have money to buy a LEF 12, so, if I had to buy today, I will buy an Epson converted again, but from other seller.
The build it's the same DTG, but for UV, you need to do more:
  • Replace all ink tube to specifc uv ink
  • Replace all damper to specific uv damper 
  • You can't use original ink system, you need replace for bottle ou other ink system specific to uv ink
  • Replace wiper (original wiper is black, and exist an blue wiper more resistent)
  • Buy a LED UV with driver and system cooling (water or air)
  • Put this led side printer head 
In my web searchs I found this tutorial (paid, not free), but I think that is complete to build a DTG printer http://unidtg.com/.

I make iPhone Cases with my printer, and it is harder than steel plates.

In Brazil, sellers are using P600 insted of R3000, but I saw some sellers offers Epson L1800 because the printer head is more cheaper (DX4), but only have 2 channels for white.

thanasis
Topic Author

Re: How can I build a UV printer to print on steel plates?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:23 am

dme wrote:
Hi Thanasis,
I have a Epson R3000 converted in UV that I bought insted of LEF 12 (I bought the printer, I'm not build). The cost it's 5x less that LEF 12, and for it was worth it, BUT, I had a lot of problem and still have.
Unfortunately, I don't have money to buy a LEF 12, so, if I had to buy today, I will buy an Epson converted again, but from other seller.
The build it's the same DTG, but for UV, you need to do more:
  • Replace all ink tube to specifc uv ink
  • Replace all damper to specific uv damper 
  • You can't use original ink system, you need replace for bottle ou other ink system specific to uv ink
  • Replace wiper (original wiper is black, and exist an blue wiper more resistent)
  • Buy a LED UV with driver and system cooling (water or air)
  • Put this led side printer head 
In my web searchs I found this tutorial (paid, not free), but I think that is complete to build a DTG printer http://unidtg.com/.

I make iPhone Cases with my printer, and it is harder than steel plates.

In Brazil, sellers are using P600 insted of R3000, but I saw some sellers offers Epson L1800 because the printer head is more cheaper (DX4), but only have 2 channels for white.

Hi dme and many thanks for your reply and all the useful info on the differences between DTG and UV printers.

Unfortunately, without a step by step tutorial, I don't trust my technical abilities to achieve anything more than simply waste a lot of money :oops:

Maybe someone may jump in and help! Or maybe someone bought a budget UV printer which is actually working without problems? Anyone?  :-)

Best,

Thanasis

P.S. Just out of curiosity, which model did you buy?