DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

Andy
Site Admin

Re: Chip Resetter Install (soldering advice / pics!)... kinda/sorta URGENT!

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Some of my thoughts. Maybe these are things you already know.

- Ink chips are specific to their color and slot in the printer. If you have your 3 green boards mixed up the wrong chips would be in the wrong spot. Same goes for any wiring.
- Just because the addon board seems to work doesn't mean it can correctly simulate the ink chips to keep the epson happy.

Cuush
Contributor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm

No, it's a new error... I mean, the cheap chinese cart chips were always kinda troublesome (mainly just one of them)... but nothing like this, where every single one of them is throwing an error!

It's baffling me because everything is working (carts ARE being read, they DO reset, etc)... except that one roadblock, where the machine doesn't see them as seated properly... I don't know what would cause that??

I'm pretty sure I have all the other ribbon cables matched up properly, again, it resets the carts... this sucks. :/

Anybody have a lead on replacement #204 greenboards? Since mine are soldered, I can't really go back to test the original cartridge chips (I also have the handheld chip resetter)... I need a new set of greenboards... or an idea how I might jury rig the ribbon cable setup to work with the original chips??

UVDTG
Contributor

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Have you checked _every_ solder connection?  If it's thinking the cartridges aren't installed, that would make me think some of the contacts are not making good connection to the printer. 

Also, if none of the cartridges are being seen, that makes me wonder if it's missing one or two connections that are common to all of the cartridges (power, ground, etc).

There's also no way the cables are upside down making all the connections wrong, is there?

Cuush
Contributor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Alright, now I've managed to create a "0x80" error... great, either the ribbon cables finally gave up the ghost (they don't look like it)... or I blew the mainboard. :/

Anybody know where can I get new ribbon cables... and how do I read the specs on them (is it just the number of lines / thickness)?

Also, could someone please point me to a video describing how to properly test for a short circuit on a greenboard? How about testing the ribbon cable sockets?

I have a second untouched P600 in the house... I was about to buy a new ink unit from Compass (to step back to the original ink cart setup, for now)... but after reading a thread on here regarding blown greenboards and something about EEEProm read/write software, I'm starting to think I should just tear into this other printer for parts... I was kinda saving it for a 2nd machine.

Alternately, I'm getting to the point where I may take this to someone that actually knows how to fix electronics... but considering the unusual nature of these machines, what type of service would be my best bet to approach? Epson service center? Electronics repair? Printer repair? Cell phone repair?

I'd consider sending it to Spectra or someone in the industry, but shipping costs went up dramatically this year... apprehensive to start making $100 shipments around the country for a blown fuse on a 5" greenboard... but I need to fix this and get to work already, so I'm open to all ideas.

Appreciate it... i'm on the verge of slitting my wrists before I jump off a bridge into heavy traffic. :evil:

What's my best plan of attack here?

Andy
Site Admin

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Cuush wrote:
Alright, now I've managed to create a "0x80" error... great, either the ribbon cables finally gave up the ghost (they don't look like it)... or I blew the mainboard. :/

Anybody know where can I get new ribbon cables... and how do I read the specs on them (is it just the number of lines / thickness)?

Also, could someone please point me to a video describing how to properly test for a short circuit on a greenboard? How about testing the ribbon cable sockets?

I have a second untouched P600 in the house... I was about to buy a new ink unit from Compass (to step back to the original ink cart setup, for now)... but after reading a thread on here regarding blown greenboards and something about EEEProm read/write software, I'm starting to think I should just tear into this other printer for parts... I was kinda saving it for a 2nd machine.

Alternately, I'm getting to the point where I may take this to someone that actually knows how to fix electronics... but considering the unusual nature of these machines, what type of service would be my best bet to approach? Epson service center? Electronics repair? Printer repair? Cell phone repair?

I'd consider sending it to Spectra or someone in the industry, but shipping costs went up dramatically this year... apprehensive to start making $100 shipments around the country for a blown fuse on a 5" greenboard... but I need to fix this and get to work already, so I'm open to all ideas.

Appreciate it... i'm on the verge of slitting my wrists before I jump off a bridge into heavy traffic. :evil:

What's my best plan of attack here?

Where are you located?
Do you have basic electronics skills to use a multimeter?
Epson service centers won't touch it.

ddelgrande
Contributor

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I blew up two mainboards because I was trying to make things look pretty.  In both cases, it was a fuse Andy pointed and I just did a bridge solder.  Andy is correct, Epson service centers won't fix a mainboard, you have to buy a new or used printer. 

Cuush
Contributor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 am

Andy wrote:
Where are you located?

Sorry, I literally had to go sleep off the stress today... real-deal case of the Mondays, lol!

I'm in Austin, TX.

I have a multimeter, know the basics... been reading about testing greenboards, just not exactly sure where to start... nothing appears blown from what I can tell (I've blown Caps on computer mobos in the past, lol)... but I'm not familiar with the "micro" stuff, how to approach it.

I have basic solder skills as well... if the board is fried from plugging/unplugging ribbons with power flowing, then I may as well try bridging the short (or replacing the component/fuse, depending on what's blown)... but I'm not even certain where to start looking for the short, what I'm looking for on a multimteter, other testing tools needed, etc?

I'm big on DIY, capable enough... just getting tired here, and well out of my wheelhouse... trying to decide what to do next. :/

Andy
Site Admin

Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am

Cuush wrote:
Andy wrote:
Where are you located?

Sorry, I literally had to go sleep off the stress today... real-deal case of the Mondays, lol!

I'm in Austin, TX.

I have a multimeter, know the basics... been reading about testing greenboards, just not exactly sure where to start... nothing appears blown from what I can tell (I've blown Caps on computer mobos in the past, lol)... but I'm not familiar with the "micro" stuff, how to approach it.

I have basic solder skills as well... if the board is fried from plugging/unplugging ribbons with power flowing, then I may as well try bridging the short (or replacing the component/fuse, depending on what's blown)... but I'm not even certain where to start looking for the short, what I'm looking for on a multimteter, other testing tools needed, etc?

I'm big on DIY, capable enough... just getting tired here, and well out of my wheelhouse... trying to decide what to do next. :/

The tiny fuses on the epson motherboard are marked with the letter F and then a number(example: F4). So if you look around the board you will find a few of them you can test.