Site Admin
Topic Author

CMYK Only - Profitable Printing

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

I've moved this so the topic can continue about CMYK Printing

ABDada

Re: GutenPrint as a RIP

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:29 am

CMYK is more profitable than white ink anyway.  My main DTG website has switched to white shirts only -- our profit margin went up almost instantly even though we "lost" 40% of our traffic on that site.

White ink isn't just tougher to maintain, it's tougher to print well AND tougher to get good artwork for.  In June I know we wasted over 75 man-hours just dealing with crappy art for dark shirt prints.  75 man-hours x $40 overhead = $3000 of my money I threw away because the crap-for-brains "garment line" designers send 14kb JPGs for black shirt prints.

CMYK just needs a reasonably decent JPG and you're good to go.

I warn all my consulting customers NOT to do white ink for at least 3-6 months.  Dial in CMYK, bang out dual CMYK jobs, and you can make $4-$6 profit PER SHIRT and print 20-40 shirts per hour with one guy, one printer, one heat press.  That's $40-$150 per hour profit, more than enough to save up for a second DTG set up to test white ink out on.

Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:32 am

I agree CMYK ink on white or light shirts is where the money is. It's a smaller market but still big enough to keep busy.

It's just hard for many to believe they don't have to have white ink until they've had the white ink pains.

ABDada

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:52 am

A few weeks ago we cleared $2000 in profit in one hour using 2 P600s printing just CMYK (single CMYK in those, WUB wasn't used).  That was actual profit, not some pie-in-the-sky imaginary profit.

When customers send me artwork for quoting, I give them two prices: with white ink and without.   I'll quote $7-9 for a CMYK print and $17-21 for a WUB print, plus I'll tell them "white shirts in 5 days no rush fee, black shirts in 2 weeks".

I'll do a one shirt sample for $3 on white, $20 on black, same day as quote. 

If you need 60 shirts, there's no reason to go with white ink.  Who would pay $1300 for 60 shirts when you can pay $400 for the same 60 shirts on white?  And on the CMYK prints, I make a bigger profit in fewer hours.

shabby
Contributor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 am

ABDada wrote:
A few weeks ago we cleared $2000 in profit in one hour using 2 P600s printing just CMYK (single CMYK in those, WUB wasn't used).  That was actual profit, not some pie-in-the-sky imaginary profit.

When customers send me artwork for quoting, I give them two prices: with white ink and without.   I'll quote $7-9 for a CMYK print and $17-21 for a WUB print, plus I'll tell them "white shirts in 5 days no rush fee, black shirts in 2 weeks".

I'll do a one shirt sample for $3 on white, $20 on black, same day as quote. 

If you need 60 shirts, there's no reason to go with white ink.  Who would pay $1300 for 60 shirts when you can pay $400 for the same 60 shirts on white?  And on the CMYK prints, I make a bigger profit in fewer hours.

ABDada do you pretreat your white shirts?

ABDada

Re: CMYK Only - Profitable Printing

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:41 am

I offer four options:

CMYK one pass
CMYK one pass with pretreat
CMYK two pass
CMYK two pass with pretreat

Most customers are happy with the cheapest method. I give a $1 discount for customers who are willing to wait three weeks since we do those fill-in style. 75% of customers pay for 0-3 day rush tho.

If it's black ink on color shirts we do two pass CMYK only otherwise people complain.

shabby
Contributor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:15 pm

ABDada wrote:
I offer four options:

CMYK one pass
CMYK one pass with pretreat
CMYK two pass
CMYK two pass with pretreat

Most customers are happy with the cheapest method. I give a $1 discount for customers who are willing to wait three weeks since we do those fill-in style. 75% of customers pay for 0-3 day rush tho.

If it's black ink on color shirts we do two pass CMYK only otherwise people complain.

Those are great options you give.

ABDada

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:31 pm

It's all just marketing, really.  I know for a fact that most customers will want either double pass CMYK or CMYK+pretreat, but I give them the cheaper option and then a big warning that says "you're selecting one pass color which may give a vintage/faded appearance. please order ONE sample before committing to a larger quantity so you can proof the output yourself in person."

Some customers are fine with one pass color, but most will decide to spend more on two pass or one pass + pretreat later.

I have a faster pretreat machine (I was an alpha tester on the newest XPT open pretreater) so I can pretreat up to 200 shirts an hour with just one operator.  That means we pretreat ALL shirts for the day in the morning, stack them up nicely, and then printing is easy peasy.

shabby
Contributor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:25 pm

ABDada wrote:
It's all just marketing, really.  I know for a fact that most customers will want either double pass CMYK or CMYK+pretreat, but I give them the cheaper option and then a big warning that says "you're selecting one pass color which may give a vintage/faded appearance. please order ONE sample before committing to a larger quantity so you can proof the output yourself in person."

Some customers are fine with one pass color, but most will decide to spend more on two pass or one pass + pretreat later.

I have a faster pretreat machine (I was an alpha tester on the newest XPT open pretreater) so I can pretreat up to 200 shirts an hour with just one operator.  That means we pretreat ALL shirts for the day in the morning, stack them up nicely, and then printing is easy peasy.

That is great marketing and great work flow.

rickyride
Contributor

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:05 pm

https://www.monsieurtshirt.com/5-tshirts

this guy use dtg printer

only sold light gray and white tshirt now thios guy is millionaire.

It should be good business if you can give the direction to your customers