DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

tstar
Topic Author

Two printers paired

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 am

I was wondering if would be possible to use two cheaper printers together,  with a switch for the motor plus a longer rail. For example two epson stylus 1290   

Andy
Site Admin

Re: Two printers paired

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:34 am

Yes it is possible, but the complexity is going to be much higher than normal DIY DTG.

You'll need to have the 2 printers aligned perfectly so your layers match and then also you will need to send print jobs to both. 

sonyoasis
Contributor

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am

Belquette tried this out years ago with the Mod 2 . First printer prints the white then auto rewinds to the second to print the colour. 

Andy
Site Admin

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:50 pm

sonyoasis wrote:
Belquette tried this out years ago with the Mod 2 . First printer prints the white then auto rewinds to the second to print the colour. 

I assume in the end it just makes more sense to have 2 separate printers. I've gone around and around in my head on this and ultimately come back to the effort isn't worth the benefit. Might as well do 2 machines.  Now if you custom built from the ground up with 2 printheads that is nice because you get a faster machine in the same size printer but just putting 2 printers inline you don't save much on space.