UV Led printer

bovegas

I am about to try UV LED ink in epson 3800 i just converted to flatbed. Do you guys know if i would just plug in cartridge and do head cleaning or i would need to clean head with some cleaning solution first and than plug in uv led ink. Do you know which cleaning solution i should use.

Keep in mind that water and solvent do not mix.

Wash the printhead with fuid to DTG ink to remove the DTG ink completely.

Certificate which has no more waste. Wash with isopropyl alcohol

With this you will draw the water and exchange for isopropyl alcohol, as it evaporates quickly the chamber of the printhead stay dry, ready to receive UV ink.

ok

• 4 months later...

Hi, i have a Epson L800 and a T50 (which are basically the same printer), I'de like to make them Uv printers.

Other than changing the inklines to black ones and adding a Uv lamp and inks, is there another modification that's needed?

Does anybody knows a tutorial on this?

(i'll be printing cds and cards, the T50 and L800 already have a cd/card tray so i'll like to keep using that to avoid making a flatbed.)

thanks!

• 3 months later...

After HEAVILY looking into this in recent weeks (Converting a 1430 but keeping sheetfed) I have learned to RUN from Chinese inks as they are a little on the harsher side. also stick to uv ink rated lines and tanks if using ciss as just painting them black does NOT suffice it will eat them. Apparently these inks have a "slight" solvent base to them. not harsh enough to damage the head but improper lines and tanks.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a UV printer and I can share what I know thus far...

UV Solvent based inks are crazy toxic!!! The inks that I pumped through the print head behave different than water based ink. 

I find that I have to flush my head about every 7-14 days with an insanely powerful cleaner that actually dissolves my vinyl gloves if I'm not careful. I didn't know what I was doing back when I started and accidentally got misted in my face by a gust of wind when I was cleaning the head outside. Not fun. Also in hindsight taking a printhead in the sun to flush out photosensitive inks is stupid. LOL Lessons.  

If you are going down this route please take every precaution for your skin as UV inks are much more toxic than what you are used to. 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:30 AM, Longuini said:

Many do not know, but isopropyl alcohol is a great solvent for UV ink, better than the fluids sold on the market, as well as being cheaper.

I used to used this. Found it just does not dissolve all the micro pieces of dried crusted ink very well. I know use "Eco Solvent Ink Cleaning Fluid" is what it says on the bottle. Its cheap and sorced via Ebay out of California. 

I do use alcohol still to wipe down equipment as the cleaning fluid is wicked toxic and I dont like touching it or using it much. 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, vittorio.granat said:

In this moment i'm converting a epson r1800 into a flatbed UV printer with bed size of 30x100 cm ... shortly i will put the photos and the adds to arduino code for the lighting and ricirculation ink

How is this project coming along. Id love to collaborate some time with you. There are few that I can find that make it all the way to pushing print and maintaining the machine. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2017 at 5:30 PM, Longuini said:

Many do not know, but isopropyl alcohol is a great solvent for UV ink, better than the fluids sold on the market, as well as being cheaper.

Yes, I think even alcohol is better. I had fluids sold on the market that seemed to rather clog the head then flush it. 
If you think about it how they are sold in China, they might just stick the wrong label on the bottle...