DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

 
User avatar
Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author
Posts: 1328
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Humidity and Temperature

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 pm

It is extremely important once you install DTG waterbased inks into your printer that you maintain climate control at all times.

You will have problems unless your Humidity is 40% - 65% and your temperature is no higher than 78 F degrees.

I suggest buying one of these for your printer room: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00325-Co ... dity+gauge 
 
User avatar
ABDada
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:48 am

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:24 am

Any thoughts on adding an option to your DTG Shield for input of temperature and humidity in real time or at least polling every 15 minutes?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/386

Would be awesome to incorporate a basic alarm or logging system for owners to monitor both when they're in production or when they're away.
 
User avatar
Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author
Posts: 1328
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:42 am

ABDada wrote:
Any thoughts on adding an option to your DTG Shield for input of temperature and humidity in real time or at least polling every 15 minutes?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/386

Would be awesome to incorporate a basic alarm or logging system for owners to monitor both when they're in production or when they're away.

I hadn't thought of doing that on the DIY shield but those are easy to add.
My thoughts so far on this website project:
  1. Make sure the code and plans posted can feasibly be used by a DIYer without requiring them to purchase something from OpenDTG
  2. Keep designs to where they function well to do the core need of printing. 
  3. Keep the cost of builds as low as possible while them being comparable to the entry priced machines on the market
  4. Stock and have an online store of the parts for those that don't wish to have to find everything themselves
Beyond that I guess it kind of depends on what everyone wants and if whatever I build can sell enough to at least recoup my costs for doing it.
 
User avatar
ABDada
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:48 am

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:02 am

Definitely agree on the goals for a final v1 of the shield, but a v2 might not be a bad idea to start considering just on some basic functionality.

Or maybe a v1 with a daughterboard for additional functionality (mostly sharing just a power connection I would guess).
 
User avatar
Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author
Posts: 1328
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:04 pm

ABDada wrote:
Definitely agree on the goals for a final v1 of the shield, but a v2 might not be a bad idea to start considering just on some basic functionality.

Or maybe a v1 with a daughterboard for additional functionality (mostly sharing just a power connection I would guess).

I made a post for everyone to start tossing around suggestions and ideas.
http://www.opendtg.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53
 
tjello
Contributor
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:07 pm
Location: Oslo - Norway

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:14 am

I will have the printer standing in a cabin where its gonna be difficult to keep it warm enough. Especialy when it gets down below 20 Celsius here. So I was thinking about making a little box with latex glass around the printer with a door to put in the platen and control the temperature and humidity inside that box with a Arduino. Would be nice if it was included in the printer Arduino :)
 
fritter
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:06 am

Andy wrote:
It is extremely important once you install DTG waterbased inks into your printer that you maintain climate control at all times.

You will have problems unless your Humidity is 40% - 65% and your temperature is no higher than 78 F degrees.

I suggest buying one of these for your printer room: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00325-Co ... dity+gauge 

When the printer (R3000) is OFF, do I need to keep the temperature below 78 F degrees?
 
User avatar
Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author
Posts: 1328
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Humidity and Temperature

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

Yes anytime you have inks loaded you should keep the printer climate controlled.

The head is more protected when it's off but it's still waterbased inks that you don't want to dry out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest