DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

overdose
Contributor

Re: Epson ESC/P Raster commands

Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:07 am

Finaly found out how to print these lines again. It seem the new command are incompatible with the old ones. Specialy for changing color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andy
Site Admin

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:00 am

So you've got it figured out how to assign ink channels different colors?

overdose
Contributor

Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Andy wrote:
So you've got it figured out how to assign ink channels different colors?

For the old esc/p2 yes.

I failed to correctly use the new rasp printing command.

oxident

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:17 am

Interesting topic (and forum)!
I would really like to contribute but my first step would be to create a spooler / output application which is able to send halftone planes to the printer as there are already many possibilities to produce such files (Gimp, Photoshop, Colorgate, ...) but I've never seen a way to actually "drive" those printers directly.
So I'm thinking about a C# application taking multiple monochrome 1-bit TIFFs and send them directly to the printhead's channels. That's how I already did it with large format (HP) printers.

As I only own a chinese L800 based printer with 6 channels (CMYKWW) I guess the old ESC/P2 would be a good starting point.
Does anyone know a documentation for this language?

overdose
Contributor

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

oxident wrote:
Interesting topic (and forum)!
I would really like to contribute but my first step would be to create a spooler / output application which is able to send halftone planes to the printer as there are already many possibilities to produce such files (Gimp, Photoshop, Colorgate, ...) but I've never seen a way to actually "drive" those printers directly.
So I'm thinking about a C# application taking multiple monochrome 1-bit TIFFs and send them directly to the printhead's channels. That's how I already did it with large format (HP) printers.

As I only own a chinese L800 based printer with 6 channels (CMYKWW) I guess the old ESC/P2 would be a good starting point.
Does anyone know a documentation for this language?

well it depend how your tiff file is encoded. some tiff accept 1bit pixel.
it's dot matrix printer which mean you need to convert your pixel based image to a cmyk dot based encoding. there is quality loss in the convertion.
i don't even know which algorithm is suppose to be used, i guess the secret of quality is in that half toning process, which is secretly kept in the printer driver..

oxident

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 am

Yes, I'm aware of this ;-)
Nevertheless, I would treat the halftone dithering as a seperate topic because I would bet there are already some fancy algorithms out there which might be used. Just take a look at the Ghostscript sources, for example (they've even adapted Epson's Microweaving algorithm).
But my first step would be to build a converter for the low-level stuff: The conversion of "raw" 1-bit pixel data to ESC/P2.
I'm just guessing that the printer itself accepts plane indexed input.
Assuming a, b, c, d, e and f as the color channel (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm, ...) and 1,2,3,4,5 as the printed dot then I would expect ESC/P2 as following:
1st row: a1b1c1d1e1f1 ... a2b2c2d2e2f2 ...
2nd row: a1b1c1d1e1f1 ... a2b2c2d2e2f2 ...

overdose
Contributor

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 am

oxident wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of this ;-)
Nevertheless, I would treat the halftone dithering as a seperate topic because I would bet there are already some fancy algorithms out there which might be used. Just take a look at the Ghostscript sources, for example (they've even adapted Epson's Microweaving algorithm).
But my first step would be to build a converter for the low-level stuff: The conversion of "raw" 1-bit pixel data to ESC/P2.
I'm just guessing that the printer itself accepts plane indexed input.
Assuming a, b, c, d, e and f as the color channel (C, M, Y, K, Lc, Lm, ...) and 1,2,3,4,5 as the printed dot then I would expect ESC/P2 as following:
1st row: a1b1c1d1e1f1 ... a2b2c2d2e2f2 ...
2nd row: a1b1c1d1e1f1 ... a2b2c2d2e2f2 ...

you can actually only print line of one color. then use cariage return to print other colors. yellow is supposed to be printed first. maybe cause it's the lighter color.
more like
a1a2a3a4a5
\r
b1b2b3b4b5
\r
c1c2c3c4c5
\r\n
new band. a band of X lines. you can configure 24 or 21 lines band max with old esc/p2