DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author

GutenPrint as a RIP

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Anyone want to collaborate to make GutenPrint customized for DTG printing needs?

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

ABDada

Re: GutenPrint as a RIP

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:37 am

I worked on this idea probably 4 years ago -- I have no idea what I've done with the code but it never worked well for me.  I had to manually create a white ink layer in Photoshop (convert image to greyscale and ramp up the midtones so you had almost all "black" where you wanted heavy white ink.

I actually was thinking a year ago about using GutenPrint strictly to output ESC/P2 data and then having a secondary RIP sitting there reading that data and adding the necessary first pass for white ink.  THAT wouldn't be that trick since the ESC/P2 data is pretty easy to read once you've gotten used to it.

With the ESC/P2 data you can duplicate the printer raw data from say channels 1-4 (CMYK) and convert them all to channels 5-8 while dropping any pure black colors if it's a black shirt.  I bet it would work relatively decently for a simple RIP but the white ink performance would be poor compared to what I was doing (bumping the midtones up).

Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:23 am

If you happen to come across the files that would be great.

At the very least it would be nice to setup a Dual CMYK viable option. 

Although many won't listen to the advice, it's best to start out in DTG using CMYK only anyway due to white ink hassles.

Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 am

I moved some posts to the General DTG - Business section so the conversation can keep going there.

pitiflo

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:10 am

Hi,
I was trying to separate the different ink channel in gutenprint, I manage to create a driver for my 1400 wich use only the two light color channel, it's quite easy to realise. I still trying to figure out how to define this two channel to black color so I can print in greyscale on this two channel but I think it can be done.
I still waiting some part to mount my printer so I have time to figure it out, I think I can create a software to generate the second driver and configure it.

Andy
Site Admin
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:45 pm

pitiflo wrote:
Hi,
I was trying to separate the different ink channel in gutenprint, I manage to create a driver for my 1400 wich use only the two light color channel, it's quite easy to realise. I still trying to figure out how to define this two channel to black color so I can print in greyscale on this two channel but I think it can be done.
I still waiting some part to mount my printer so I have time to figure it out, I think I can create a software to generate the second driver and configure it.

I ran into the same issue. On a 8 color printhead I could make changes to the XML files so depending on which setting I was using it would select only the left 4 or the right 4 nozzles to print. I never did figure out how to make multiple nozzles to be the same color.
If you figure that part out I could dig back in and help with setting the rest.

pitiflo

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:44 am

I think there is a way by editing the quadtone mode but I'm not sure of the result. It using from 4 to 8 gray channels so this is maybe the only way to use multiple channel with white ink. I was trying to find the driver for the WF 1100 since it's a 2 black channels printer it will be possible to understand how to print with two or more black channels but I can't find it. I'm kind of stuck here.
I have tryed to use a black subchannel like gutenprint do for light color but the driver keep crashing. On magenta, cyan and grayscale it's using a "SubchannelTransitionParam" parameter if I can find what it is maybe I can edit Gutenprint or some part of the xml to print two times or more the same thing but it's a long shot.

pitiflo

Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:29 am

Well I find the WF 1100 driver in the last version of gutenprint and apparently the 2 blacks channels are working. The Xml parameter is <SplitChannels count="2">0 64</SplitChannels>, I think it's just spliting the density and printing the same thing and the "0 64" parameter must be the first nozzle of each print channel even if 64 is weird because the WF1100 is a 60 nozzles/channels printer. If we use that on 2 or more channel and just increasing the general density maybe it can work.