DIY DTG - Build your own Digital T-Shirt Printer

ktorktor
Contributor

Re: Overnight Ink Purge

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Katana DTG has this feature, I found this video today: 

I believe that this is a must have.

Would it be enough to work only when the printer is off? This way the motor can be disconnected from the Epson mainboard (trough a relay module) without risking for errors and connected to a motor driver that is controlled by Arduino.

Andy
Site Admin

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:52 pm

If you just want overnight cleanings many rip softwares have that feature.

Yes you'd want to disconnect the capping station from the epson controller for safety

ktorktor
Contributor

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:07 pm

For me more important would be unlock/lock the printhead and ink purge. 
If the printer is off, would it be enough just to run the capping station pump for ink purge? Is the ink flowing or it's blocked somehow?

Andy
Site Admin

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:15 pm

The capping station doesnt have a shutoff valve if that's what you're asking

ktorktor
Contributor

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:26 pm

What about the rest of the ink system? Can the ink flow freely when the printer is off?

ktorktor
Contributor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Searching for the answer to my question above, I made some tests.

I tried to rotate the capping station with an electric screw driver. Slowly, miming the same speed and pattern from the ink charging. It sucks a bit in the beginning and then it stops. I didn't ruin anything but when I tried a nozzle check after, all the nozzles where empty. Probably it creates some vacuum and then it sucks the ink back from the head. After a couple head cleanings it started to print again.

I disassemble the ink system from a R3000 and play a bit with it. I noticed that the ink, in order to flow, it had to be pushed not only sucked by the capping station. If it's not pushed some valves are blocking it. So in order to make an ink purge not only the capping station has to be controlled but probably the air pump too. Any thoughts? It gets already to complicated... Should we ask Andy to close the topic :)

Andy
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Interesting... yes that complicates things a bit. Probably more than it is worth.

I would think you have to study how Epson runs the pressure pump or something to make sure you don't over do it.

ktorktor
Contributor

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm

I'll try to make another test to rotate the capping station motor more slowly, maybe the pressure was too high.